Monday, November 1, 2010

Pinking Shears

Besides the sewing machine- the one thing I really wanted from my mom's sewing stash was her pinking shears.  I thought they were the coolest.  I begged and begged, but she hardly let me touch them- let alone possess them.

So here I am 30 years later and I am finally the proud owner of my very own pair of pinking shears!  Why did I break down and buy them?  Well it has to do with this terrible taffeta I am working with.  While I love the sheen and look of the fabric- I hate working with it.  It runs easily and is very unforgiving.  I think I mentioned in my last post that I have resorted to using a fine ballpoint needle to sew it with.  It still runs, but to the seam allowance only, so far anyway. 

I only paid about $14 total for the fabric, so I guess there is my first clue that it might not be high quality.  The funny thing is- I wasn't looking to save money- I just liked the color and the polka dots.  Now I wish I had gone with the silk duiponi I was eyeing (the problem there was I couldn't decide on a color.)

Oh- I digress- back to the pinking shears.  The reason for the pinking shears is that after a little research, I deducted that the best way to finish the seams and to help stop any unraveling- is to use pinking shears.  My serger is out of whack and frankly I am scared to let it touch the taffeta.  I would use french seams, but since the fabric is so unforgiving- I was afraid of making a big mistake with the combination of princess seams sewn with french seams.  I am sure that it IS doable?  I just don't trust myself to that one.



cute- but somewhat unwieldy
So pinking shears it is!  They are very cute and they cost me about $22.  I have a feeling I will go back eventually and spring for some nicer ones.  Either that or order some Ghingers. Speaking of which- I am still waiting on my spring loaded Ghingers I ordered last month.  That- and the boning I need for the dress.  It supposed to be here this week.  I tried finding some last week- but to no avail.  I then emailed Yoshimi from Yoshimi The Flying Squirrel.  Not only is she a talented and prolific seamstress, but very sweet and helpful as well.  She has armed me with a translation for boning to show the salespeople.  And she also suggested a couple of stores in Nippori.  I may be taking a trip to Tokyo this weekend!

Wish me luck.  I have less than two weeks now.  The good news is, I have several back-up (RTW) dresses on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for subscribing to my blog!