Sunday, November 15, 2009

Birthday Dress

Yay!  I finished my first birthday dress!  I really need a dressform so I can take a better picture.  I will have a picture taken when I wear it and will post it.  It was a fairly easy dress, just a little time consuming with the pleats.  I couldn't find my marking pens or chalk (we just moved 3 months ago)- so I had to mark the circles with thread.  Of course I found my pens and chalk AFTER I already finished the pleats.  My favorite part about this dress is the sleeves, they are so much fun.  I made the sash as well but I still have to decide whether I will use it or not.  My big lesson learned here is to make sure I use the right kind of interfacing.  The knit fabric is very light- the interfacing was too heavy (didn't realize that in time) and the neckline is too stiff for my liking.  I am hoping that a little washing with some fabric softener will take some of that stiffness out.  Now I just need to find some tights to go with my brown knee high boots.  I am not sure the Japanese tights will fit me so I will have to make an order online.

The pattern I used is Vogue V8411.
It was fairly easy, the only gripe is that the directions for the bodice and facing were not very clear.  Otherwise it was a lot of fun!

I got the idea of making myself a birthday dress from a blog I just found a few weeks ago- The Slapdash Sewist.  She has a tradition of making herself a birthday dress every year.  What an awesome reason to make a dress, I love it!

Happy Birthday Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for subscribing to my blog!