Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Sewing with Sissy

Yesterday I made up a project for my daughter to do.  I bought a bunch of felt a while back from Fabric.com (she picked out the colors.)  I let her pick what she wanted to sew.  She decided to make a purse.  I had her cut out shapes to sew on the front of the purse.  I should have thought of using felt before.  It is 'sew' easy for her to use!  She had a ball decorating and sewing her new purse.  We even got out the Bedazzler (it's cheesy but the girls love it.)
I machine sewed the purse together when she was done.  It is the first "purse" or bag I have ever made.  I am now wondering why I haven't done so before?  It was so much fun.  Of course the felt is super duper easy- so using heavier fabrics would be more challenging for sure.  I had to remind Sister that the purse will not hold up well and not to put too heavy of objects in it.  She was so proud!  Of course she had to take it to school today.  Hopefully it made it through the school day. :-)


I love that she enjoyed the project.  I told her we could make pin cushions next.  I think for her birthday coming up in May I could get her her own sewing kit or basket.  They have some really cute sewing kits here she would love.  A basket would be good too- something to put scraps in that she can sew on.  I remember when I was a little girl I always begged my grandma for her scraps.  I started hoarding fabric at a young age. ;-)

Like I said- sewing the purse made me want to try making one for myself.  It reminded me of these cute purses sold by Persnickety Designs in Bellingham, WA.  They had the cutest bags!  I am not sure if they are still in business or not- I think maybe they closed their shop and starting selling on Etsy.  Here is an example of one of their bags.  They are made of a kind of vinyl/leather like material.  I am sure if I did some research I could find out what that stuff is called.  I wonder how hard it is to sew on? 

2 comments:

  1. Hello fancypants! Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog! I enjoyed getting a view into your life in Japan with your children

    I am an ex-Air Force wife and lived in Ome-shi, Tokyo for three years while my first husband was stationed at Yokota air base. I loved it there!

    I learned the language, worked for two different jobs...one at a hospital in Chiba prefecture...and began my study of Japanese embroidery there. Of course, I did not have children at the time...I still miss the Japanese culture center in Shinjuku where there were so many wonderful classes being taught on every manner of national craft. And what I wouldn't give for a trip to Yuzawaya right now -- I love that store! Enjoy your sakura time and hanami -- I used to love that too...especially the pretty bento boxes that would be sold this time of year....*sigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by! I LOVE your blog- you are so talented and inspiring! My daughter and loved your Pants Pants Revolution project. We plan on doing our own as well. I have not heard of the culture center- I will have to look it up!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for subscribing to my blog!