Monday, March 22, 2010

Back on the machine

Last month I cut out the pieces for the dress I am making for Sissy.  It is from the Japanese pattern book I mentioned previously.  I FINALLY got a table for my machine so I was able to sit down and get started on it last Sunday.  I am nearly done- just need to finish the armholes, make buttonholes and hem the skirt.  Yesterday (Monday) I had to finally put it down as I was getting mad at my machine.  I was sewing in the bias tape into the armhole and the stiches were just all over the place.  I was wishing I never got rid of my old machine (and just had it fixed after my cats knocked it on the ground)- and bought the machine I have now.  It is a Singer like my old machine- but it is not made as well (plastic vs. metal for one thing.)  My aunt gave my previous machine when I was 13 or 14.  I made my ASB Ball and Senior Prom dresses on it.  I used it to sew my garments for my clothing construction class I took in college.  I loved that machine.  I was so wrong to think that something new and shiny would be better.

I have decided when I get back to the states I am going to invest in a good machine (and maybe steal my mother's old Kenmore from here while I am at it- tricky tensions knobs and all.)  So far Berninas are sounding good to me.  I just have to decide what kind of machine and what features I want.  Oh- I am going to commission my Hubby to make me a proper sewing table as well.  We have talked about it in the past- just never got around to it.

After I put the dress down and shut my machine off I noticed that it wasn't threaded correctly.  Doh!  Maybe that's why it was not giving me nice stitches.  I laughed at myself then.  It is kind of funny the that serger's thread was also a little out of whack as well.  I  think maybe Sissy was checking out my equipment- though she denies it. :-)  I am going to give her a go on my mini machine soon- she is eager.

I still want a new machine of course.

2 comments:

  1. Ok... waiting for a picture of the final project. The Japanese patterns are so sweet:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My memory stick decided to quit on me so I had to buy a new one- which I did yesterday. So now I have to get my daughter to model it for me so I can take new pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for subscribing to my blog!