Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Finally- the pictures of the finished product..

The darn memory stick lost my pictures!  So I had to buy a new one and now I have new pictures to share.  Unfortunately- I lost the pictures of my daughter's photo shoot she modeled for.  I am so bummed!  They did her hair all crazy- the pictures were so much fun! 
So here is the dress I made from the Japanese pattern I was so excited about.  It was pretty easy to make- even without being able to read the directions.  The pictures were sufficient though I am sure I did a few things differently- that's ok- turned out as it should. :-)

(Don't let the picture fool you- she likes the dress- she just didn't feel like modeling it at the time...)


If you heard someone cursing at their sewing machine it was me!  I practiced buttonhole after buttonhole.  After I got it just the way I wanted- I tried making one on the dress.  All I got was a big ball of thread on the underside.  I finally realized my machine didn't like sewing through the linings (I really should have remembered that from past experiences!)  It has been so long since I have made buttonholes- it felt like I was learning all over again.  Eventually I got it to work by pulling the fabric through with my hand.

My next lesson to learn was that old seam rippers should be replaced!  I did not realize how dull the two I had were.  I ended up ripping a hole the fabric from pushing too hard.  Sissy didn't mind- bless her heart.  I think I could make a little patch to cover it?

(The big rip.  As you c n see I had to make the buttonholes over the seam.  That was due to not using the same seam allowance and not being able to calculate and/or decipher the instructions.  Of course that is why my machine got stuck there..)

But at least the my first fabric covered buttons turned out pretty darn cute!  I used a Japanese kit and it was so easy- why haven't I tried this before?  (Maybe because I have avoided making buttonholes?- lol)  I used a different little birdy from the skirt fabric for each button.

I may try making another one in a different fabric.  The fabric used on this dress is  from the Alexander Henry Collection.  It is really meant to be a quilting fabric- but the two prints were so darn cute and it was on sale!  It is a little thin however- so maybe I will try a cute polka dot next time.

I do have a new seam ripper now.  I bought it here locally and it has Snoopy on it.  And it is sharp!

2 comments:

  1. Very cute! I agree that having to put on your own seam allowances on the Japanese patterns is so tricky, especially with no decipherable directions. The project came out nice, though, despite the buttonhole problem. Who really looks at the back?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I want to ask one of my English students to translate the directions for me- though I am not sure how that would work out. You are right- most people would not look at the back too closely- but I would most likely point it out! It was heartbreaking when it happened- as the dress was all complete except for the buttons/buttonholes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for subscribing to my blog!