Friday, April 30, 2010

A little sewing hiatus

As we have a ton of things going on in our household- I have had to put my sewing projects on hold.  It makes me sad- but right now my goal is to spend quality time with the family whenever we are able.  Hopefully by the end of the month I will be back at it.

But I do want to announce that I have a new baby- I bought a new sewing machine!  It is a Janome and my first computerized machine.  It was a little strange to sew on at first- but now I am in total and complete love.  The stitches are just beautiful.  Truly- it is like going from a base model economy car to a sports car with all the bells and whistles.  Even my kids were entranced.  And it is so quiet!  I can bring my machine into the living room again without bothering anyone's TV shows. lol
Here she is- the ThreadBanger TB30.  Isn't she gorgeous??


I just realized they raised the price of this baby!  Now I am very glad I did not wait and snatched it up right away.  I think my Hubby was a little miffed with me that I bought it so quickly after discussing it- but wait till he hears I saved about $200.

When I do get back to sewing I plan on making a few things for the kids.  I scoped out the thrift store and found some "like-new" and probably never worn, twill pants that I plan on recycling to make shorts/capris for Sissy.  I never thought of doing that before, but here it is sometimes hard to find what I am looking for.  And!  It is cheaper than buying fabric! 
I like the trend of recycling.  It reminds me of my grandmother.  She grew up during the Great Depression and had to learn to use everything and not waste.  Clothes that were too small were handed down or made into new clothes.  Or- if that couldn't be done she used the good pieces for quilting.  She would show me the quilts she or my great-grandma made and point out the different fabrics used- "that one came from a dress I made your Mamma when she was your age"- or "This is from a shirt grandpa used to wear."  I loved to look at her quilts.  She finally gave me one after Brother was born.  My great grandmother made it.  It is a red, white and blue Dresdon Plate pattern.  This was after my younger cousin had visited and asked if she could have one of the quilts- only to be turned down.  I felt a little guilty about that- but only a little. 

My grandma got me started on my first scrap basket- which I used to make Barbie and doll clothes.  I don't hold onto many scraps anymore just for the sake of not having the room.  But I do continue the tradition of hoarding fabric that she started me on.  I like to say that it is all being part of the "Sisterhood" of fellow seamstresses.
Hopefully by the end of the month I will have a new project to share.  Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for subscribing to my blog!