Wednesday, April 7, 2010

My First Muslin

I have to confess I have never made a muslin.  This comes from the fact that I was impatient and didn't want to waste spend precious time making a muslin.  I have been perusing many sewing blogs in the past few months.  It made me realize that maybe making a muslin is not so bad after all.
A few weeks ago (after promising myself last year I would not buy anymore patterns)- I was lured in by Vogue patterns with their $3.99 sale to purchase one or two (or 5).  My favorite was this cute little dress by Anna Sui-

I realized that it would be a good idea to make a muslin first.  I had a feeling it was going to be a bit short and frankly it has been a while since I have made anything with a lining.  So not only was the muslin going to be for fitting purposes- but to also practice my skills.  Eventually I would like to make a few coats/jackets with beautiful linings- so here was an opportunity to "train".

The result?  The dress was fairly simple to make after all- once I was able to wrap my brain around how to sew in the lining- the directions weren't so clear on a couple of things.  The bodice seemed to fit perfectly- I was pleased.  After attaching the skirt I did note that I would definitely need to add about 4 inches- too short for me- if a wind were to suddenly pick up it would be all over in the short skirt.  It all looked a little bulky- however.  I thought the tie would help.  It didn't.  It is so bulky around the middle!  It makes me look like I have absolutely no waist what-so-ever.  There a couple of factors here I realize.  One- the fabric I used is just a woven cotton and perhaps a little too stiff.  the suggested farbrics are charmeuse, crepe de chine and broadcloth.  I would think the broadcloth would ne too stiff as well.  The charmeuse is better suited- but I really just wanted a cool cotton for the summer.  If DID try the charmeuse- would the dress have a better drape?

The other factor- the model in the picture is most likely a size 0 in RTW- I am more of a 10.  Therefore- the dress is probably better suited to an anorexic-thin model- not a normal average everyday figure.  So if I did try the charmeuse, would it be worth it?  Or did I just pick the wrong sort of dress for my figure?

(I made everything but the ruffle above the lower skirt.  I love how playful the skirt looks.)

(I love the neckline and shoulder seams- it is very flattering.)
  

(The back is kind of blah and not very flattering at all.  There is an opening at the back of the neck that would look cute if I were to sew the button and loop in however.)

 I am going to hold off making the actual dress for now- until I figure out a solution. I thought of making it with and empire waist (they usually flatter me) and making the skirt longer- but right now that seems like too much work for something that may or may not work.
I am pumped to sew more however- it's all I can think about now!

1 comment:

  1. I think you should make it up in charmeuse, but do it as a flowy a-line top to wear over straight pants/jeans. Forget the skirt part & the draw waist. The neckline is best part. It would be very J.Crew as a top. Just get the length hitting in the right spot. Since you made a muslin, you can chop it up to see...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for subscribing to my blog!