Saturday, September 4, 2010

I'm back!

I said I was taking a hiatus, which is what I did.  But I did start back to sewing about a month ago.  I  moved my machine to the living room and out of the hot kitchen.  It is amazing what a difference that has made!  I also obtained a lovely bamboo table (for free!) for my machine.  My kids  love that I am in the living room with them and I love to be able to watch TV.  Is that weird?  I love to watch TV and movies while I work on my projects.  I don't know if other people are like that?  It makes it all more enjoyable.  When I get stuck or frustrated at a mistake I made, it seems easier to deal with if I am watching something good.  Of course- I think at times I get distracted by what I am watching and therefore will make mistakes.  My new machine makes this all possible as well.  It is so quiet!  My old Singer made it impossible to hear anything and everyone complained. 

I am in love with my Janome.  I tried out the buttonhole stitches last night.  Beautiful!  Usually I would have to make at least 5 or 6 practices before I got the buttonhole "just right".  But this time I only practiced a few because I was basically learning how it works on this machine.  I didn't even make any adjustments on the stitch length or width.  I love the fact that it lets me make a "double buttonhole".  Once it is done with the first buttonhole, I simply depress the foot and then push down again- my Janome made another one right on top- a beautiful and strong buttonhole.  For someone who doesn't sew I am sure that would sound pretty weird, but I was so thrilled!

I need pictures of my projects, I know.  I have actually sewed for myself, and I need good pictures.  But- I do have a picture or two of the apron I made for my good friend Jaime.  I followed the pattern from Amy Butler's In Stitches book.


finished product

towel band, I have never seen one on a an apron before

border print

inside of the waist band

all wrapped up and ready to go!
 There isn't an actual pattern in the book for the apron- since the pieces are all rectangles.  It is a simple and elegant design.  I am not sure, however, if a beginner would have an easy time with the instructions.  I think more pictures are needed- and they need to go directly with the text.  But I was happy with the end result.  I would like to make more projects out of the book.  I thought of challenging myself to do them all.  But- nah!  I have so many other things I want to make I would just end up frustrated and not wanting to pick up my scissors. 

Honestly, I am a little intimidated by the bags in the book.  I have a particular bag I have been working on, and I have royally screwed it up.  I think that was part of the reason for my hiatus- besides the fact that my Hubby was getting ready to deploy.  I was just too frustrated.  I am, or at least was, the queen of UFOs.  So now I find myself sticking through something I actually hate- just because I hate leaving unfinished projects.  I am working on that fine balance between making myself crazy because I don't want to move to a new project, and between giving up at the first time the seam ripper is needed.

I HAVE made a small challenge to myself.  My challenge is to keep up the sewing by doing at least a little sewing every day.  It can be something big like working on a project, or something small like sewing on a button.  I just want to keep up the momentum.  My perfectionism really gets in my way and makes me procrastinate when I could be sewing.  I will try to blog more regularly as well.  I know this is silly, but I still don't like the name.  I am going to have to enlist some help for a better name.  I have procrastinated blogging as well- just because I don't have the "perfect name".  Dumb, I know!

Keep sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for subscribing to my blog!