Monday, September 13, 2010

my own little "revolution"

There's a wonderful little blog I like to read called Plays with Needles.  Susan Elliot is one ubertalented lady armed with loads of creativity.  I saw this project she did with her neices called Pants Pants Revolution.  I was smitten.  I planned and I plotted, and saved some of Sissy's jeans that got too short for her.

So just before school started I got Sissy together with her BFF (who brought her own pair of too short jeans)- and we had our little "Pants Pants Revolution."  The girls had a ball picking out the fabrics and decorating their jeans with fabric markers.  I love that sissy's BFF drew a "wardrobe", as in the wardrobe from the Narnia books.

I followed Susan's tutorial by taking out the seam to make sewing on the fabric appliques easier.  I have to say with well washed jeans that was the easiest part.  I had fun using my machines different stitches (it is still pretty new to me) to sew on the different pieces the girls picked out.  One thing I would do different is cut out a bunch of pieces beforehand, as that took up a lot of time and I wasn't able to finish in the daylight hours.  (Note to self- don't start a project such as this when the next day starts before 5:30 am for a tour.)  I think I got maybe two hours sleep?

 I had SOOO much fun.  I am going to make my own eventually- maybe with some nicer fabrics.  The girls' pants have that 70s bellbottom vibe going, they love it!

Thank you Susan for the inspiration!

The big mess, AKA loads of fun!

laying the pieces out...
Butterflies cut from recycled fabric.
end result- taken with my iPhone very late into the night

1 comment:

  1. PS- I changed the name of my blog again- I think this one will stick!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for subscribing to my blog!