Monday, September 20, 2010

Downside to letting people know you sew...

I know many people have talked and blogged about it, but I experienced it first hand today for the first time.  I stupidly raised my hand at the last wives' meeting (Navy wives here on base), when someone asked if anyone sews.  I ended up hemming someones dress.  That was not that big of a deal- and frankly the hem was straighter after I was done with it.

But.  Someone in our community friended me on Facebook.  You have to understand I live in a fishbowl.  It's a small community I live in and eventually you meet EVERYONE, seriously- at least once.  I am terrible with names, so I assumed I had met her before.  Plus, she knows everyone I know.  Well.  I was at a dinner last weekend and I saw her.  I still was not able to really place where I had actually met her.  She never said anything to me and nor I to her, the whole night.  I did smile at her a couple of times though.

The next night some of the ladies from the dinner posted pictures of us on good ole Facebook.  This person I wasn't sure I knew, then comments that she didn't realize that was me at the dinner.  What?  You mean we haven't actually MET before?  OK- well she is on the board of the wives' group- she was just adding everyone that belonged, right?

Today I found out her TRUE intentions of getting to know me.  She started chatting with me online about her dress she bought for Navy Ball and how it doesn't FIT her.  She was so obvious!  She is preggo, so she can't find anything to wear.  Because of the dress fiasco- she decided not to go.  I started to feel bad.  Then I remembered, this will be my FIRST time going, and I have been married to my sailor over 14 years.  The one time I did get Hubby to agree to go- I had a newborn and realized there was no way I wanted to try to find a dress to fit my post-partum figure.

I still feel a little bad- but I didn't give in.  I made no indication that I knew she wanted me to offer to tailor her dress (which I am not sure is even possible as I haven't seen it.)  And she didn't have enough nerve to come out and ask me.  If she were a close personal friend, I would look into it.  But hey, I am a busy lady!  I have projects of my OWN I want to do!  In fact, if I had time- I would make my own dress for the Navy Ball.

By the way, I ordered my RTW dress from Nordie's.  I hope it fits!

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! I understand though. Once people find out you know how to sew, they think you can just do anything for them....lol. Make sure to post pictures of your dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by!
    Hopefully the dress comes in soon, I am worried it might be on the slow boat to China (Japan). I will be sure to post pictures if/when it makes it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for subscribing to my blog!