Thursday, October 21, 2010

Cherry Limeade Coat completed

I couple of weeks ago I blogged about the coat I started for Sissy.  I have since named it the 'cherry limeade' coat- due to the color and pattern- and the fact that I drank a million cherry limeades from Sonic when I was preggo with Sissy.

Well I finished it (the coat) last week.  I just realized that it is really the first coat, with lining to boot, that I have ever made.  Everything was fairly easy except for the hem.  I don't know why exactly- but the hem really kicked my behind!  It is a Simplicity pattern from Threads that I used. 

 I was really surprised that it didn't have better directions for the hem, and also for the princess seams on the coat lining and facing.  I couldn't find buttons that I liked so I bought a covered button kit and made my own to match.  This is my second time making the covered buttons- if I had known how easy they are- I would have been making them long before now!

I am not sure if I like the coat?  It may be TOO loud?  She hasn't worn it yet- it is really a coat to wear with a dress and boots- like the picture on the pattern envelope.  The important part is that SHE loves it.  I know I say this all of the time- but the smile on her face when I make her something makes it all worth it.  She is so proud to wear my creations.


not sewn on yet- just laying out the buttons to see how they would look.  I almost did them in the polka dot- I am tempted to make some just to see- it's easy to change buttons after all...


I swear the hem is even!  I think maybe the front facing needs to lose some of the interfacing, it is too stiff at the bottom and doesn't hang quite right.  Any suggestions?

my favorite part- the lining!  you can see the dark green bias tape I used for the hem as well- not entirely happy with it.
I am on a polka dot kick apparently.  The dress I am now working on (the purple taffeta), has black polka dots.  Today Jaime and I hit up Yuzawaya and we found some super cute satin for the girls' Halloween costumes- Sissy's is orange with black polka dots and her BFF's is purple with black polka dots.  I am making skirts to go with their kitty ears and tails... 

I just realized I forgot the tulle!  That is reason enough to go back to Yuzawaya.  If you ever visit Japan- you MUST hit up Yuzawaya.  They have EVERYTHING.  Everything.  I found out there is a really big one about an hour from me- it is on  my list as a future weekend excursion.

It is a great start to my weekend! 

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for subscribing to my blog!