Thursday, October 7, 2010

Rolling hems and Barbie wedding gowns

I faced my fears this week.  I love to sew obviously, but I do get intimidated by certain fabrics.  One of them is chiffon.  I have a big formal event coming up- like I mentioned in a previous post.  I would have liked to make my dress, but I knew I did not have the time or the resources.  So I ordered this beautiful dress from Nordstrom, crossing my fingers that it would get here on time and actually fit!

JS Boutique chiffon dress from Nordie's
Isn't is pretty?  I was not disappointed when it arrived.  It fit beautifully and it drapes so very nicely.  Of course it was 3 inches too long.  I think they are all made super long, hemming it was unevitable.  I almost sent it back.  In fact, I even boxed it up.  I was too scared to cut the dress and then attempt to give it a decent hemming.  The dress cost $178.  To me, that is beaucoup money and frankly I am surprised at myself for spending that money!

Seing that I am in Japan- there is no way I can find a dress in my price range to wear to the Navy Ball.  Long evening gowns are a rare sight in Japan- and the ones that can be found are very expensive.  In fact, did you know that Japanese brides do not buy their wedding gowns?  They almost always rent their dresses.  The rent two- one for the ceremony and one for the reception.  And- get this- there is a line of Barbie wedding gowns!  Seriously- Barbie- like the fashion doll.  I know this because my daughter had an audition for the fashion show last year (she didn't get the job though.)  They had black and white striped dresses, so different than what I normally think of as a wedding gown.  Here's a little clip from one of the fashion shows...



Isn't that wild?   Back to the subject on hand- my dress.  I decided to put on my big girl panties and go ahead and shorten it.  For the chiffon, since I didn't want to mark the cutting lines with chalk and I didn't trust my eyes to cut evenly, I used my see through rulers and my rotary cutter.  I felt like I was breaking some kind of rule using a rotary cutter on chiffon, but honestly it was the best method for me.  It did snag the fabric once or twice, but nothing I couldn't fix.  For the china silk lining I used my good ol' tailors chalk.  I order it online from Sew True.  Those friendly folks are so kind to mail to FPO's (military post office boxes.)

After trying on my dress, I realized that even when I hemmed it, it would still be too long.  So I took another inch off.  I then did a little reading in my Reader's Digest Guide to Sewing.  It's funny- it was my text book from when I took clothing construction in college (in 1993)- but I never really looked at it until this past year.  I am not sure why, but it took me that long to realize what valuable information that book has!

It wasn't so hard to do the hemming, only at the corners of the front and back panels did I have a little trouble.  My thread was too light as well (times like these I miss having a Joann's nearby).  But you know what?  It turned out just fine!  I can't wait to wear it this weekend.  I'll be sure to post pictures.  I would like to say I made the whole dress- but for now I am content to say I hemmed it. ;)

 
rollin' with the hem, or sewing a rolled hem- ha ha


You know, I think I am going to buy a rolled hem foot for my machine now...

Did I mention I found some stinkin' cute shoes to wear with the dress?  My daughter got to model them for everyone to see:



ok- you can't see the shoes very well- but I love the way she turned her feet in here- she was having fun!

you can see the rose detail a little better here

there go the toes again!
Yesterday I ordered polka-dot taffeta for the event I am going to next month.  I'll post the pattern and fabric swatch next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for subscribing to my blog!